Re: Riley Sprite

To: "David Lieb" <dbl@chicagolandmgclub.com>, "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Riley Sprite
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 21:47:39 +0100
The first class H (up to 750cc) car in the world to cover a measured mile at
over 100mph was the MG  ex120 which was a re-bodied and supercharged M-type
Midget.
16 Feb, 1931 at Montlhery 103.13

The first class H to do so in the UK was the Austin 7 on the Brooklands
banked circuit in August of the same year.

The Austin 7 I had was built the following year, but didn't have the
supercharger or the streamlined body!  It would still do over 80 which was
quite scarey enough for me!  It was very low. I remember the surpised looks
I got from the drivers of minis at traffic lights wjhen I pulled up
alongside and the looked DOWN at me! This when minis were still new and very
much smaller than most other cars on the road.

Guy