FW: [Fwd: Update on Dick - 04/05/04 #1]

To: "Team-Thicko@Autox.Team.Net" <team-thicko@autox.team.net>, "Spridget List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: FW: [Fwd: Update on Dick - 04/05/04 #1]
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 18:50:14 -0500
-----Original Message-----
From owner-vintage-race at autox.team.net
[mailto:owner-vintage-race@autox.team.net]On Behalf Of Larry Dent
Sent: Monday, April 05, 2004 5:36 PM
To: Vintage Racing
Subject: [Fwd: Update on Dick - 04/05/04 #1]

Here is the weekly update on Dick Buckingham.  I hope some of you are
not upset with me forwarding these.  I know many of you do not know
Dick, and for those who do not, he has been VEERY active in SOVERN for
years, and has been working with the Vintage
Race Council.  Very active in vintage affairs.   Larry Dent

Hi Everyone - this report come directly from Judy...Elna

Since last weekend Dick has made some great strides.  He worked with a
speech
therapist last Sunday and started vocalizing.  His voice gets a little
stronger each day, and now he can carry on almost normal
conversations- voice is just a little soft.

He has been switched to a normal diet.  I was able to bring in homemade
meatloaf one day, and last night brought him a Wendy's hamburger which he
relished.  On Tuesday, when the speech therapist is there, we get to try
pizza.  They have discontinued the tube feeding at night.  If he can
maintain
his weight, they will then remove the feeding tube.  He is able to use his
right hand to drink and feed himself.  Eye/hand coordination as far as
getting
a utensil from the plate to his mouth is good.

Physically he is slowly getting stronger.  He needs more assistance when
being
transferred from bed to chair.  He can lean his trunk forward so I can rub
his
back- something he couldn't do a week ago.  Supporting his trunk while
sitting
or standing is still remarkably difficult and tiring for him.  He is getting
little more movement in his left hand and leg.  He has been switched to a
regular wheelchair with the big wheels.  Physical therapy will be working
with
him to propel himself with his right hand and foot.  He just has to learn to
accelerate with the hand and steer with the foot.

Short term memory is better, but by evening he is tired and gets confused.
We
have a memory book to use to work on date, upcoming events, etc. as these
are
the things that he forgets.  As far as memories of the past or of friends,
his
memory is sometimes better than mine.  Today I am supposed to take in his
laptop and the recreational therapist will work with him on that.  Don't
know
how that will go.

On the negative side- he can't sleep well at night - too much noise, and
that
sometimes makes him irrational during the days.  His roommate was moved to a
different room to sleep for 2 nights and I think things were better;
however,
the roommate slept in the room last night and Dick fell out of bed at 5am.
The nurse called to say he was all right, had been trying to call me, and
rolled out (he has a new bed that lowers quite near the floor where there
are
mats so he is OK).  I expect he couldn't sleep and was agitated and was
trying
to call me to get him out of there.  I have asked about upping his night
time
medication to help him sleep better so will pursue that again today.

He is to go to the U of WA Rehabilitation center 4/22 for evaluation to see
if
he is ready to return there for more concentrated therapy.  We are trying to
keep him focused on that.

It is good for me to write these weekly updates because it helps me reflect
on
the progress that he has been making.  I feel that it is remarkable.

More next week.  Judy