Overheating

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Overheating
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 16:52:21 -0400
Hey guys,

Been a while since I was active over here. FINALLY have my Midget almost
ready for the road again following the engine rebuild last summer/fall.
Had it back together for a while, but weather and other things kept me
from getting it completely sorted out. Anyway, it's a '71, 1275 +030
with a Kent Cams 256, hi-flow water pump, hi-flow oil pump. Otherwise
stock. Running pretty nicely - so much quieter without the
"knock-knock-knock"! Only problem is kind of an intermittent overheating
- just about maxes out the gauge, and surely would if I didn't kind of
"baby" it when it starts getting up there. But the temp seems to jump up
and down rather abruptly. Wondering if I may just have some air pockets
in the system? Seems like I had a hard time getting anything even
flowing through the heater - first time it did it the heater was blowing
cold. Since then I do get hot air from the heater, so I do have flow
through the heater core. I had the radiator (stock) boiled out and
tested while doing the rebuild and it was fine.

Any idea? Air pocket likely? I had a somewhat similar problem on a Dodge
Omni years ago, and it took several refills before I got all the air
out. Any hints on getting all the air out if that is the problem?

Thanks!

Eddie
'71 Midget - "Bebop"