Re: Overheating

To: Kevin Valentine <kevin@valentinephoto.net>
Subject: Re: Overheating
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 19:14:29 -0400
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Kevin Valentine wrote:

> On Apr 22, 2004, at 4:52 PM, Eddie Sheffield wrote:
>

>> Only problem is kind of an intermittent overheating - just about
>> maxes out the gauge, and surely would if I didn't kind of "baby" it
>> when it starts getting up there. But the temp seems to jump up and
>> down rather abruptly.
>

> Eddie,
>
> Change the thermostat.  (Even if it's new).   Try this first, it may
> just solve your problem.
>
> Gates makes a very good thermostat, which you can get at your local NAPA.
>
> Kevin V.

Kevin,

Sorry for not getting back to you for a bit. Thanks for the advice. I
tried that, but unfortunately no dice. I did have a 180 in there. NAPA
gave me a 195. Ultimately didn't seem to make much difference one way or
another. It's actually OK until the engine starts working hard, like
going up a hill. Then the temp starts to really climb. But unless it's a
really bad hill and the engine it working very hard, it will suddenly
plummet as fast as it shot up. It's almost like the thermostat is
working, just not fast enough.

Actually, one other possibility struck me recently. Could a bad radiator
(expansion tank, really) cap cause this kind of behavior? I believe
that's a 15 psi cap, same as my truck and my dad's Midget, but mine
seems to have very little tension. I'm thinking weak cap, water boiling
at too low a temp, cap blows off some pressure, cap seals again, cycle
repeats. Gonna get a cap and try that in a day or so - can't hurt anyway.

Thanks!

Eddie
1971 Midget - "Bebop"