Re: Starter problems

To: "DE-BREBISSON,CYRILLE \(HP-Boise,ex1\)" <cyrille@hp.com>
Subject: Re: Starter problems
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 16:14:07 -0700
Cc: "'spridgets@autox.team.net'" <spridgets@autox.team.net> information
Most likely one of two things.

When you tightened the nut on the cable at the starter, did you hold
the inner nut to keep it from turning? If not,  you might have
twisted the connection inside weakening the current path.

Your brushes may be wearing out. When they get to the end of there
spring pressure, it will only work when the armature is in a certain
position. I believe later starters have two sets of brushes and if
even one doesn't make good contact, it will become intermittent. It's
possible the armature or commutator is bad, but that's probably the
least likely.

Gerard