Scotland Trip 2004 Report. L-O-N-G e-mail.

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Scotland Trip 2004 Report. L-O-N-G e-mail.
Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 08:02:46 +0100
Well, "Oggibip" (my '59 Sprite) is just back from a 900 road mile 'Run'
from Ireland to Scotland and back.

The trip was organised by the Connaught Veteran & Vintage M.C. (Thanks
Keith, and Claire/Bernie).  Fellow travellers included a Fiat 500
Topolino, Midget 1310cc, TR4, Jaguars E-type 4.2 & saloon, Ford Anglia
105E (Two of), Rovers P5 & P6, Austin A30, 1932 Armstrong-Siddeley,
Essex 6 and a Chevrolet LHD. Unfortunately, the Chev did not get to
start, and the Essex had to be parked shortly after we arrived in
Scotland. Both cars had problems with Big Ends, I believe.

At the beginning of the run, Oggibip needed help to change her fuel
pump, sort out her electrics, and a slight adjustment to her mixture
(Thanks Raymond). After that, she ran perfectly.  In fact she ran so
good, she was able to keep up with the tuned 1310 Midget (Sheeeh, we
had a 'dice' one evening which was pronounced a draw).  The 5-Speed
worked just 100% perfectly. (Thanks PaulA). Oggibip was still
accelerating in 5th during the dice, before having to brake for a
roundabout, which we circulated twice, (or was it three times?),
before dashing back to the hotel.

We arrived in Scotland at Troon from Northern Ireland's Larne. Stayed
the first (and last) night in Irvine. 2nd day saw us away early to
catch the ferry from Ardrossan to Isle of Arran, where we visited a
distillery. Nice time was had by all there. Then another ferry took us
back to the mainland at Claonaig in Argyll. By this time the visit to
the distillery was having the desired effect, and we had a blast of a
drive going north on the A83 through Oban and on to Glencoe, which was
our base for the next while. We became a little separated from the
rest of the group as the sports cars tried out the narrow Scottish
roads. I was in front of the E-type for most of this section. Tight
corners are not designed for E-types; but they are Just Magic for
Spridgets! Being on my own, I was trying to navigate as well as stay
ahead of the E-type, and in Oban, while I was checking the PDA
Navigator away from the sunshine and almost stopped in traffic, I let
poor Oggibip run into the back of a local Fiat Panda. S*&% ! Jumped
out: no damage to Fiat; indicator lens broken on Sprite. Other driver
laughed, so I did too! E-type driver very amused, (ta, Nigel) On our
way at once, but navigation was increasingly difficult due to the
strong sunlight, and our ever increasing speed. But, after one or two
wrong turns/missed turns, we arrived in Glencoe. Found out there's
great Guinness served in Glencoe.

The local sights to see near Glencoe are Ben Nevis chair lift, and a
boat trip on Lough Ness. Plus anywhere you drive, there is scenery to
die for. The weather was simply wonderful; top down all the way,
except of an hour one morning.

One evening, we decided to try out another hotel's bar before
returning to our own. Just as we turned in to the car park, another
car group arrived. They were from Holland, and their cars, wait for
it, included 4 1930s Bentleys, a Merc SSK, two E-Types, Morgan, 2
Jaguar saloons, Amilcar, Aston-Martin DB6 and two MGBs.  While we were
admiring these wonderful cars, a local guy turned up with a VW bug
body siting on a 4WD chassis.  Really tasty work done. He said that he
used to be a mechanic, but that now he was better (=cured)! Sadly,
next morning we heard that one of the Dutch group was involved in an
motor accident as they left the hotel at 6 am.

On our second last day, we left Glencoe, and ran down the A82, passing
by Lough Lomond. Lots of road works, and tourists kept the speeds
down, and eventually we diverted to the A815 and A886 and on to the
B836, where we had a blast of a drive.  The road was like what I
imagine Le Mans might be. Certainly, Oggibip was opened up to her
max. Only slight problem was the fuel level reducing quickly in the
middle of nowhere! We rejoining the A815 for the run into
Donoon. There we took the ferry across the Clyde to Gourock. We had a
very slow trip back to Irvine in heavy traffic.Next morning, we left
early to catch the Troon ferry back to Larne, and so back to the start
at Manorhamilton. A quick coffee there, and time to say our Good-byes.
Fifty miles later, Oggibip was home in her garage, a little tired, but
very, very happy.

Sorry for the long post, but I'm really thrilled that the trip went so
well. As some of you guys know, I've owned Oggibip since 1974, but she
was only driveable 1986 - 1995. To have her back on the road again is
just great. The engine (std. Ital 1275) is pulling strongly, the
Nissan 5-speed is working a treat, (Thanks once again to PaulA for a
great kit and his sincere help with the installation) and the 3.9
diff. is, for me, simply the best. Roll on the rest of Summer.

Happy days/daze (take your pick)

Ron.
===>
'59 AN5 "Oggibip"
'64 Riley 1.5, who's feeling very neglected.

P.S. Last night, saw a group of British classic cars going through our home
town, Longford. They were on their "Eire Run 04" Could not
stop to follow them, pity.