float needle problem

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: float needle problem
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 13:01:29 -0700
For the last few weeks, the Austin has been unable to go over 50 without
sputtering and threatening to die.  A switch to a facet pump seemed to help a
bit, but with the onset of warmer weather, the problem has returned in force.
Removing the fuel line from the carb and turning on the ignition gave a steady
full stream of fuel into a gas can, so no problem there.  Float level was
correct and no blockage or debris to be found.

After coasting into the driveway lastnight (whew!).  I removed the float bowl
lid and found the bowl dry though the needle seemed to rise and fall without
sticking.  I swapped out the needle and the problem seems cured.

Here's the payoff.  Examination with a magnifying glass revealed a micro crack
in the white plastic body of the needle between two of the fins near the
business end of the needle.  Apparently once it heated up in use, it would
expand a bit more than a normal one thanks to the crack and then stick ever so
slightly in the brass seat tube.

So if you have fuel supply problems with no obvious cause, take a long close
look at the float needle, then throw it away and put in a new one.  They're
too cheap to hassle with.

Glen

and those of you who thought "An Austin A35 goes over 50?"........ up yours!
I routinely go over 56, sometines 57 MPH with favorable winds.