Re: Made in China - no LBC - longish

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Made in China - no LBC - longish
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 20:01:26 -0700 (PDT)
--- Frank Clarici <spritenut@exit109.com> wrote:
> list, how about making it a point to have the
> engineer actually try out
> what he designed!

Back in the day when I started, you had to spend a
year in the shop and a year in drafting before you
could move into engineering to learn the pain
technicians go through making your stuff, and what the
draftsmen go through turning layouts into detail
drawings.  Best training in the world!

Back in 1995, some genius technicians put 22,000
incorrect rivets on JSTARS (AD vs. D type), the
aircraft I was working on.  On New Year's day, I was
called in to calculate the highest altitude the
aircraft could fly to with diminished tensile strength
of those rivets holding on the skins.  I calculated
31,250 ft instead of the normal 41,250. After I
finished the analysis, my director informed me I'd be
on the first flight of the aircraft the following week
to conduct a test at altitude, and did I care to
change my answer.  Talk about a gut check....

=====
Ron Soave

"And another thing.....when I gun the motor, I want the whole world to think
it's coming to an end."

- Homer Simpson