Re: Race budgets

To: "Spridget List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Race budgets
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 13:49:38 -0500
Heck, what good is an 8' deer fence? A PA whitetail can clear an 8' fence
from a standstill with no run.

Peter Egan had an article about race budgets... he and his buddy made much
the same point as Hopper when a guy stopped to watch them and said that he
"always wanted to go racing more than anything else in the world". 'If you
really wanted to do it that bad, you WOULD be doing it.' As for myself, I
have spent much of my adult life actively avoiding infection by the racing
virus. It would be fun and fulfilling, but life is too short to do all of
the fun and fulfilling things I would like to do.

Autocross lets me have fun driving my car without as much of an investment
in time and money. It was very fulfilling for me to have my car take FTD
last Sunday at the MG Club autocross. It would have been more fulfilling if
I had been the driver. I got second to my own car. I still got the better
end of the bargain, however. I run my Midget in the modified class at our
autocrosses, because then I get to be in the same class as Barney Gaylord.
In fact, I ran in that class last year when my car did not even qualify as
modified. The B's do not mind it as much when you beat them if you are in
the modified class.
Last Sunday I managed to get a second faster than Barney's MGA, just because
I was on Yoko A008R 185/60-13 tires (thank you, Bill Perry!). Knowing that
it was the tires that allowed me to do this rather than my driving ability
(as if there were any), I told Barney to take a run in the Midget. Of course
his "fun" run knocked a second off of my best time and then he got a little
more serious and knocked a couple more seconds off. Then he took me around
as passenger and showed me what I was doing wrong so I could go out and trim
a couple of seconds off of my best time. I was still 3/4s behind him, but
much better than I was. Definitely worth it.
David Lieb
1972 RWA Midget
2002 GTI for Trish to beat me at autocross with