Re: 40K Bugeye

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 40K Bugeye
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 22:12:51 EDT
In a message dated 6/20/04 10:57:58 PM, thistle_3619@yahoo.com writes:

> "It is all metal cause he dipped the bonnet and did the body part
> replacement and hammering (to get the curves right) in his shop. It
> escalated from a "driver" paint job (est = 4k) to 16k but there was
> much more than paint. The wheels, the interior, the new chrome grille
> & bumpers, the attention to detail under the hood, and under the car,
> for that matter, the polishing of the aluminum cockpit surrounds & the
> windscreen frame, etc.---it all mounts up. He had the car for almost 3
> months full time. It is really to nice to drive anymore"
>
> Bugsy will not get a $4k "driver" paint job more likely a Maaco $299
> Special. I am glad though that there are folks who love their car so
> much that they are willing to invest this much money in restoring
> it. This isn't a money making business. All of us have far more
> invested in our cars simply because we love the little critters. No
> one ever bought a Spridget for the purpose of making money on
> restoring the car. We all bought them because they are so damn much
> fun to drive.

And both attitudes are great.   The trick is to find the painter/body person
who knows the difference and is willing to earn his $4k or whatever.   If you
try to take it to Maaco, though, be certain to get as much of the chrome off
it as possible or mask it yourself. (Masking, if it gets done is sloppy) and be
sure to mask off the underside of any screw holes or what have you.
Otherwise, your interior may be covered with paint.   It happened to us once,
fortunately with the car we didn't keep.

Be nice to have paint on Bugsy--what color now????

Annice & Bob
1960 Bugeye (Mk. IV in disguise) "The Sprite"
1966 Sprite Mk. III (Still in Boxes) "Trevor"