re: Broken bracket for SPAX shock

To: spridgets@autox.team.net, midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com
Subject: re: Broken bracket for SPAX shock
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2004 13:05:29 -0400
It seeems that the consensus is to "just fix it" by welding the bracket back
together, preferably with a little extra reinforcing.  By the way, I called
every SPAX dealer I could find and found that none of them sells the part.
I am beginning to think "the part" never existed, it was always a welding
job.

So now I have a new question:   The plate that forms the bottom of the
bracket is also the base of the spring.  Should I support the spring in any
particular way when I remove the four bolts that hold the plate on?  Or,
just jack that side of the car up and take it apart?  I am concerned that
that plate might be under tension from the spring, but I could be wrong.

Thanks again,
Steve
http://www.1978mgmidget.com/broken_spax_bracket.html