No oil pressure on break in?

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: No oil pressure on break in?
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 09:39:04 EDT
Cranked over a newly rebuilt engine, with an oil coooler. Ignition not
connected. Primed the oil pump. Cranked for about 15 seconds did not see the
oil
pressure gauge move. Took the oil cooler hose off and top it and the garage
floor
off. Cranked the engine over with the hose at the oil pump end off and there
was oil flowing. Hooked everything back up, another 15 seconds of cranking,
but still no movement on the oil pressure gauge. Don't really want to "dry"
crank this engine too much.
Is 15 seconds to short a time to get the gauge to move?
I am guessing I should be looking at the oil pressure relief valve. But what
should I be looking for?

David Oliner
.