Re: Bugeye rear wheel studs

To: "'nase@ptd.net'" <nase@ptd.net>, "'spridgets@autox.team.net'" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Bugeye rear wheel studs
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 11:18:44 -0400
Yep, I beat them out as well.

IMHO, original stock studs are an accident waiting to happen.  When I
purchased my car ~12 years ago, it appeared to be working just fine.  In
reality, it had 4 broken studs, 2 on a single rear wheel.  The small studs
are comparatively easy to fatigue with unregulated air tools and are
probably pretty stressed with modern sticky tires on wider rims.  While
replacing them with larger studs is not super easy, its not too hard either.
In the least, I would replace ALL the studs with new ones, that have not
been fatigued.

Jackson Zimmermann
'64 Sprite (1275 & 5-speed, hoping to get on the road again soon...)