Re: Changing the head gasket: how hard

To: "de Brebisson, Cyrille" <cyrille@hp.com>
Subject: Re: Changing the head gasket: how hard
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 15:08:03 -0700
Cc: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Cyrille,

I wouldn't change a head gasket on a leaky motor without checking the
flatness of the head.  Its pretty cheap to have the head planed just enough
to guarentee a perfectly flat surface before reassembly.  Visual examination
for a crack, at the least, with magnafluxing being a darn good insurance
policy.

Glen

> Hello,
>
> Well, I am leaking oil around my head, so I guess I am good for a head
> gasket change on my 1500...
> I have a question:
> - how hard is it?
> - what hardware do I need except for the head gasket kit?
> - any trick, warning or thing to be carefull?
> - is is just:
>   - drain water
>   - remove the bolts that hold the rocker cover and the head (including
> manifolds and water pump)
>   - remove the rockers, pushrods
>   - remove and change the gaskets
>   - put everything back together (being carefull to the torque)
> Or I am way over my head here?
>
> cyrille

Check out the new British Cars Forum: