Re: Rear hub troubles

To: mail4carpenters@peoplepc.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Rear hub troubles
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 05:30:51 EDT
mail4carpenters@peoplepc.com writes:

>  I have
> replaced the paper gasket and o-ring three times now and am running out of
> paper gaskets and o-rings.  I am sure that you all have lots of experience
> with this and I hope that you can give me some pointers.
>
> How tight do you tighten the big nut that is either RH or LH threads before
> bending the lock tab down to hold it?
>
> What is the secret to making these gaskets/o-rings work?

I always give both the paper gasket and the o-ring a very light coat of blue
silicone sealant.   Keeps them in place during assembly too.  If you don't
want to use that, be sure the o-ring is in the groove when you tighten
everything
up. It has a penchant for jumping out of the groove, especiallyif you happen
to turn the axle while tightening.
Also, check the shop manual and it will give you the torque value for the big
axle nut.  Tighten it to that torque.  You will need a 1 7/8" socket for that
nut.

--David C.
--

Check out the new British Cars Forum: