RE: Rear hub troubles

To: "Mike/Donna Carpenter" <mail4carpenters@peoplepc.com>, "spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Rear hub troubles
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 16:51:08 +1000
Mike,

The only time I have ever had sealing problems is when there
was a problem with the a) bearing, b) the hub, or c) the oil
seal surface on the axle housing. d) blocked breather on axle housing

a)

There are stronger sealed bearings available that I have
found useful.

From John Fowler's 1977 article

http://reality.sgiweb.org/mg/ahsdc/goblins/tech/modify.htm

# 34

Stronger wheel bearings can be fitted to the rear hubs also -
SKF 207Z (NR), 207ZZ (with dust excluders), or fully sealed
bearings 6207VVCMAV2 (NSK) can be fitted (these allow less
oil to be run in the diff. and so less oil will escape the
oil seals and onto the brake linings when cornering very hard).

b)

These hubs are old, and many have been mistreated. If the bearing
can move around in the hub at all, it is stuffed to some degree.
Unfortunately many^H^H^H^Hmost are.

You can only do a few things at this point

        1) try Loctite brearing retaining compound (high strength)
         It may be enough if the situation isn't too bad

        2) you can get a machinist to put a crosshatch pattern on
         the inside of the hub (where the outside of the bearing
         seats). If things aren't too bad, that may provide
         enough bite on the bearing to make it work (maybe with 1)

        3) get another hub!

c)

If you can feel a groove when you run your nail across the sealing
surface on the axle housing, you can fit a speedi-sleeve which will
allow the oil seal to have a smooth surface to rotate on.

In all other circumstances, I have never had problems with leaking
rear hubs. I do use an oil resistant sealant (i.e. blue hylomar)
normally, but I have also successfully used a new o-ring, and
new paper gasket and nothing else.

d)

easily fixed -- pull off the plastic cap and clean in kerosene and
unblock the riser with paper clip or small screwdriver.

That's my experience FWIW.

Mike

Check out the new British Cars Forum: