Re: Re; HIF Woes, the Saga Continues

To: "Glen Byrns" <grbyrns@ucdavis.edu>
Subject: Re: Re; HIF Woes, the Saga Continues
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 10:49:10 -0700
Cc: "Mike MacLean" <macleans@earthlink.net>, <spridgets@autox.team.net> information
Glen,

The oil holes in the tappets are mostly to reduce the additional mass
from the oil in them. There shouldn't be any consequence as far as
oil drainage from the head. When filling the engine with oil the
first time, it took a VERY long time for the oil to reach the sump.
That is why I suspect the pushrod clearances in the block. The head
was opened up to accommodate them, but the block was not because Mike
made this decision after the bottom end was already built. In
addition, the pushrod holes in a sock setup are already smaller than
the ones in the head. Mike's pushrod diameter is .310 dia. and the
stock opening in the block is .397+ or -. That only leaves a space of
around .044 around the circumference. (about the space of a wide gap
spark plug. Is this enough clearance??? I'm not sure, but it seem
like very little to me. Vizard's book has a passage stating holes in
the block may need to be enlarged when using larger diameter
pushrods. Seems the easiest test solution is for Mike to change to
stock pushrods and see if the problem goes away. We didn't have a
chance to vent the aluminum valve cover so I'm thinking this might
exacerbate the problem once oil starts to accumulate in the valve
cover.

Gerard

--
One meets his destiny often in the road he takes to avoid it.
~French Proverb

http://www.gerardsgarage.com/FS_Garage.htm

Check out the new British Cars Forum: