RE: Oil requirements (long)

To: Spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Oil requirements (long)
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 10:54:24 -0700 (PDT)
--- "Robert E. Shlafer" <PilotRob@webtv.net> wrote:
> What sort of material is used for this
> purpose in engines manufactured with
> synthetic motor oil in mind??

Neoprene actually degrades the PAO (dielectric
strength, but we don't care unless you're strapping a
radar antenna to your Sprite), not the other way
around, so you are probably OK.  The incompatibility
of Neoprene was always debated, with Wright Patterson
labs saying it's ultimately OK, but Lockheed and us
(Northrop Grumman at the time) steered away from it if
fluorosilicone was available.  I have no idea what
they use, but I'd guess fluorosilicone or a
fluorocarbon.

Where did you get the info that synthetic oxidizes
faster than mineral?  That's contrary to everything
I've read (google "mobil 1 oxidation" and stuff like
that).  FWIW, I run either dino or synth in the street
Sprite and Midget, synthetic in the race car, and
haven't had any problems with either, and have made no
accommodations for either, just good crankcase venting.

Check out the new British Cars Forum: