Re: Midget Wheels & Carburetor

To: "Bob" <engl@accesscomm.ca>, <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Midget Wheels & Carburetor
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 08:51:50 -0500
Bob,

I don't really know much about the throttle setup on the later MGs , but I
know that I had a very similar problem with my TR4.  It turned out to be
worn return spring on the gas pedal/throttle assembly.  Things weren't
always returning to the same place every time.  When it idles too high, have
you tried reaching under the gas pedal with your toe and lifting it up?

Kurtis J.
Russellville, Arkansas
1963 TR4 - CT19389L
1959 Bugeye - AN5L23250
www.geocities.com/tr4_1963

> Carb - A while back I sent a post on the trouble I was having with the
carb
> on our '75 - I could not get the carb adjusted down enough to get a low
> enough idle.  After rebuilding the carbs (they really didn't need it as it
> turned out), the idle can now be down in the proper range - the problem
> seemed to be the carb bypass valve adjustment.  However, now I cannot get
> consistent idle - sometimes it idles right on, sometimes too high (almost
> 2000 rpm), and sometimes so slow it stalls - this is all with the engine
> warm and on the same drive.  There does not seem to be any leaks in the
> manifold.  Any suggestions at what I should look at next (or re-look at
> again?).  The car is a fairly stock Canadian car, but has a non-electronic
> distributor and the air pump is gone.

Check out the new British Cars Forum: