Dash/console rebuild

To: midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com, "spridgets@autox.team.net"@m1.name2host.com
Subject: Dash/console rebuild
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 11:29:34 -0500
Hello Friends,
Recently I experienced a failure of the turn
signals in my '76 Midget.  The problem turned out
to be in the hazard switch but to find the problem
I had to remove the little console-ette.  And as
usual, shipwright's disease set in and I found
that I had to restore the unit before
reinstalling it.
At O'Reill Auto Parts I found a complete cigarette
lighter assembly (with illumination lamp) for
about $6.  It is a perfect replacement in all
aspects except the lighter knob.  Yet, I will fit
the old knob to the new lighter (not that I use
it anyway) for the original look.

Today at lunch I hope to replace the indicator
lamps on the dash.  My charge indicator is fine
but the 'brights' jewel is missing.  I hope to
replace both jewels so there is not an obvious
difference in the two adjacent lamps.

The console itself has been repaired, the vinyl
re-adhered where old glue had failed and a few
mars and broken stitches repaired.  The unit is
now refinished and looks very nice.  The speaker
grill was repainted with silver paint and the
surround chrome trim has been polished back to a
high gloss.  The whole grill assembly has now
been clear-coated to preserve the finish.  Here
are a few pictures.  I will post more when I get
the console reinstalled.

http://www.stoolhead.com/76midget/26sep001.jpg
...through...
http://www.stoolhead.com/76midget/26sep009.jpg