RE: [midgetsprite] Rover FI Mini Cooper FS now posted on my web site

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>, <midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [midgetsprite] Rover FI Mini Cooper FS now posted on my web site
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 21:03:12 -0400
The most popular kit out there seems to be the Megasquirt.  The current
consensus is that to put FI on an A-series you must do it in a throttle body
application.  Due to the siamesed intake ports nobody has been able to get
port injection to work properly.  IIRC the megasquirt is about $200 for the
components to build the brains.  IIRC the throttle body is a gutted weber.
...and then theres the fuel pump, swirl pot, return lines, etc.  I have
considered it a couple of times, but have yet to go for it.

There is a ton of information in the archives at: http://www.mgcars.org.uk

Tad

Robert,
If you're into FI there are aftermarket units out  there.  Saw a Spit on
eBay
with one fitted.  The name is somewhat  fuzzy though.

Rob C

Well, I'm going to try the Weber DCOE I just bought, thank you PB, but in
the past there have been some Spridgeteers experimenting with FI.

It seems to me a decent FI set up would help in a daily driver  application.

What I don't want to do is buy a bunch of parts and try and assemble my
own.
 It's all I can get around to doing to replace parts on the  Midget.  If I
have to get into fabrication, at this time in my life, it  just is not going
get done.

I've seen several web sites on the subject, but they always get into how I
am going to have to program the thing or build a computer control box, all
of
which are beyond my present capabilities or desires.

One of the list member's son's was working on a kit and had a test model
installed on his bugeye.  I think cost may be the problem.  If the kit  was
$250
everyone with a Spridget would buy one and SU cores would be 3 a  penny.  If
it was $500 many would buy (myself included) just for the  reliability and
driveability.  It it was $1000.00 some of us would consider  it, and if it
was
much more than that, you'd never sell one.  Just my  opinion.

I would think there would be a throttle body set up, maybe from a twin
motorcycle that would be easily converted to a Spridget.  Also, there are
so may
Asian and European small 4 cylinders out there, I'd think that a "close  is
good enough" set up could be robbed from one of these and patched on a
1275.
Maybe not.

Anyway, those are my thought.  ....and the survey says?  I'll go  check ebay
though....

Robert Houston
Texan in New Mexico

Check out the new British Cars Forum: