Burning Wire's Pic and Question

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Burning Wire's Pic and Question
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 02:26:02 EST
My '59 Bugeye would start and the engine was strong when I brought it home;
however, there were hoses that needed to be replaced and the valves were a bit
out of adjustment.  The car had sat for 7 years.  After taking care of the
valves and the hoses, etc. I tried to start it back up.

I had some fuel flow difficulty which caused the battery to run down as I
played with the fuel situation.

When I went to charge the battery, like a MORON, I put the red battery lead
on the red charger wire and the black on the black not noticing that the
previous owner had changed the car over to negative ground.  The red lead was
actually on the Neg side of the battery and the black lead was now the positive
side.

So, with my battery charger I threw some confusion,  to say the least, into
the battery and the system.

I switched the battery leads back to the correct set up and then allowed the
battery to charge correctly.

When I hit the ignition the positive side of the solenoid (the right side as
you view the enclosed pic from the front of the car) now cooks the wires!
(The side in the pic with the red wire going into it).

Any ideas to help a drooling moron out of this situation?

Can this part (solenoid) be replaced with a standard type replacement or do I
need to source one from one of the on line specialty stores that cater to our
LBC's?

Thanks!

Kirk

[demime 0.99d.1 removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of
Spridget List_1.jpg]