laser wheel alignment DIY

To: <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: laser wheel alignment DIY
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 11:26:14 -0800
Gret tip for LBC alignment:

I got a $14.98 Sears laser level for Christmas and immediately invented the
"LBC Laser Alignment Tool"
Now you too can have one.  Take the level, and stick it at one end of a piece
of 2x4 long enough to touch across the face of a tire/wheel.  Mount it so it
shoots down the lenght of a line you carefully measured in the middle of the
2x4.  If your hubcaps touch the center, either get fatter tires(best option)
or cut out a slice from the center so the 2x4 rests on the front and back
edges of the tire.  The 2x4 is pressed gently against the tire at the middle
so the 2x4 is parallel to the ground and the laser shoots parallel to the
ground.  Now, with a garage door or a piece of plywood a few feet behind your
car, shoot the laser back and mark the hits for both the front and rear tires
onto the wood.  Go to the other side of the car and shoot those marks as well.
Now do the same shooting forward onto a surface.  You can now easily measure
between the marks and discern and adjust the toe-in/out.  With some
imagination, you can see how to use the garage roof and floor to 'shoot' the
camber adjustment as well.

Extra free new year tip.  I must have burned out a hundred drop light bulbs.
The bumping and moving of a drop light is just too much for the hot filament
of a standard bulb.  I tried refrigerator bulbs, they're a bit longer lasting
but still fail pretty regularly.  Just put in one of the new compact
fluorescent bulbs.  No filament to break.  The first one is still going
strong.

Regards and happy new year to you all.

Glen Byrns