Re: 1993 Jag XJ6 opinions

To: engl@accesscomm.ca, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 1993 Jag XJ6 opinions
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 10:33:06 EST
In a message dated 2/17/2005 7:07:30 P.M. Mountain Standard Time,
engl@accesscomm.ca writes:

If  considering buying, like a midget, if it has major rust be prepared  to
tuck-in for an expensive repair job.  I wouldn't be scared off by  an XJ6's
based on high maintenance costs.

Just my 2 cents, and I have never owned a Jag, but I have considered a
couple and my daughter had an XJ6.  Mechanics are in business to make money
and
unfortunately some will use almost any excuse to charge more. e.g.. David's
son's problem with his Saturn and all the other "rip off" scams that  listers
related.

I can't remember how may times local mechanics have told me that they would
have to buy all the "special" tools to work on my Midget, or that they didn't
know anything about "those" cars.  Fear of the unknown grips them.   Fear of
our government prevents some of them.  I once needed an exhaust  manifold
gasket replaced on an LBC and was told by Pep Boys that they could not  touch
the
exhaust system as it would "mess up the pollution controls".   Ignorance
abounds!

We all know these are relatively simple automobiles and relatively easy to
work on.  A hand full of common tools will do almost anything that needs to  be
done.  That's why most do their own work.

Ordinary mechanics are charging $60-$70 an hour at dealerships here in El
Paso, $40-60 an hour at independent garages.  Of course the "mechanics" are
only making $10 an hour.

The key to making the Jag thing work is in buying it cheap and doing the
work yourself.  That's the two things that have prevented me from taking  the
plunge...even for the XJS I passed on at $1800 a couple of years ago.   I have
more cars than I can find time to work on now, so I didn't need another
project, but it sure was a pretty car.  I did see it again last summer  parked
outside a salvage yard, apparently the victim of an engine fire.

Robert B.  Houston

Santa Teresa, NM
'74 Midget
'63 TR4
'03  Beetle

... Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention  of
arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but
rather to skid  in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally
worn out, and loudly proclaiming --  WOW-- What a Ride!"

-Author Unknown