Re: Question on transmission oil

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Question on transmission oil
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 08:06:38 -0600
On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 19:29:11 -0500, Frank Clarici <spritenut@exit109.com> wrote:
> Jacques Le Clainche wrote:
>
> > I gathered that - and I hope someone can tell me what additives in
> > synthetics  would make such oil unsuitable for a Bugeye transmission.
>
> I have no proof, and I never ran synthetic tranny oil in any (stock)
> Sprite tranny. But I have heard that "something" in synthetic oil
> *reacts* with the bronze/brass bushings and parts in the older trannys.
> It acid etches these parts. There was a similar discussion on Brit car
> Forum about synthetics and big Healey gearboxes. Apparently, a certain
> type is OK for the bronze. Different G? letters or something. I did not
> save that info and opted for 20/50 oil in all but my 5 speed which I run
> synthetic in.
> --
> Frank Clarici
> Toms River, NJ

This topic comes up from time to time on the Triumph List, but is more
related to gear oil, and not necessarily normal engine oil that would
typically be used in a Bugeye gearbox.  My understanding (and like you
I have no proof) is that GL-5 gear oil can be harmful to the "yellow"
metal parts in the Triumph gearbox, and most recommend using GL-4 oil.
 However, some also suggest that a full synthetic gear oil might be
okay as well.

I don't recall hearing similar concerns expressed regarding the
additives in engine oil.

--
Kurtis Jones
Russellville, Arkansas