RE: Pertronix Ignition - source of "power surge?"

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>,"Billy and Ann Green" <bgreen99@frontiernet.net>
Subject: RE: Pertronix Ignition - source of "power surge?"
From: "Jacques Le Clainche" <hobbycars@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 19:32:29 -0800
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
I would first put the points back and see. If everything is back to normal,
then you now it is something to do with the igntion. If not...

 I had a similar problem with my Lotus Twin Cam (plus hard starting), which
I was sure was the Pertronix. Just in case, I put the points back in (a #$%&
job on the Twin Cam, BTW!), no difference. Turned out to be dirt in the DCOE
carb filters! Carbs cleaned, everything back to normal.

A common problem I heard about the Pertronix units is not what you
experience, but that they just stop working, all of a sudden. One common
cause - If you leave the ignition on with the motor off, it can fry the
module. I understand the new Ignitor 2 shuts itself off when the ignition is
on and the engine not running, therfore preventing this problem.

May be you could check the following:

7       Bad grounding
7       Current cross-feeding from one plug wire to another
7       Wrong coil for the electronic ignition.
7       Ignition advance to be readjusted for the Pertronix
7       You could also try adjusting  the gap between the magnet sleeve and the
Pertonix module. Anything between 10 thou and 75 thou is supposed to work.
My Bugeye       ignitor is set at 40 thou. I read it is not supposed to make
much
difference, but

JLC

Billy G. wrote:

I recently switched from points and condenser to Pertronix Electronic
Ignition.  I seem to recall some listers, either here or the Spridgets list,
having problems with this system.

My timing is set correctly with a timing light.  My 1969 TR6 seems to be
somewhat sluggish when accelerating.  But occasionally upon acceleration, I
get a "power surge" during which the engine seems to be running as it should
be.  It feels and sounds about the same as when a V8 with a 4 barrell carb
opens up the secondary jets.

Has anyone had a similar experience with the Pertronix system?  I have not
yet
switched back to points to see if the problem is corrected.  All plugs and
wires, rotor cap, etc are new and in good shape.

Thanks

Billy