Re: Trunk Lid Lip Repair?

To: Jackson Zimmermann <jzimmerm@k12albemarle.org>
Subject: Re: Trunk Lid Lip Repair?
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 20:51:20 -0500
Cc: "'spridgets@autox.team.net'" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Jackson Zimmermann wrote:

> I've got some rust in the lip and the channel around the trunk lid (of my
> 1985 BMW 535i

A couple of "quick fixes"

1) grind it ALL out, you MUST get it all.
  Use a fiberglass embeded bondo (Gorilla hair) if the holes are 3/4" or
less, sand and do it again. If the holes are larger, use fiberglass
cloth and epoxy resin, then bondo.

2) and probably more like it.
trace the lip pattern on cardboard, cut it off, pick up some sheet metal
and make a new lip by folding over a 2x4 or a few moves along the vise.
Use stout cardboard so you can make slits where you need it to curve.
Make the new part with drain holes somoisture can get out.

If you don't get ALL the rust out, it will come back. There are no magic
POR chemicals (paint over rust)

I tried the magic tricks on the A40 boot lid, I enfed up buying a new
one after the rust came back the 4th time in 2 years.

On my Healey, I cut out 3" of metal on the lower boot lip and made new
as discribed above.  The outside is perfect, the inside is mostly hidden
by the skeleton.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ