Re: Re: Question on overheating

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Re: Question on overheating
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2005 06:56:53 -0800
Auth-sender: cbking@alum.rpi.edu
I think your valvce guides are a little on the loose side. When the
engine cools down, there's enough clearance for oil in the head to drip
down an open valve and into the cylinder. On startup, voila - smoke.
Once the engine heats up, the head and the guides expand enough to keep
excess oil from leaking down the valves.

If you have umbrella valve stem seals, they may have perished by now,
and if not, installing a set would fix the problem.

We had a Toyota Tercel that had this very same problem, and I found that
on that particular engine the valve seals were a known weak point.

Chris

Chris King
http://home.comcast.net/~kvcbk/