Re: Darn Points

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Darn Points
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 02:40:30 EST
In a message dated 3/13/05 6:48:48 PM, mike.aarset@gmail.com writes:

> I pop up dizzy cap and my points where overlapped. Where the wood part
> of the points that goes over the pivot point had worked up.
> I pushed the points down and made it half a block and they worked up again.

Never heard of anyone else having this problem, so I never mentioned it.   My
original 950 engine would eat a set of points in less than 20 miles in the
manner described.   In my case, the problem was solved by using   only Champion
N-5 plugs.   If I went to a different plug,   it was as if the metallugy was
wrong and the points would "climb" the distributor shaft.   I'd try a different
brand if I were you and keep trying until it works.   Or try to remember back
to the last plugs you had. YMMV but I'd try a different one before I repeated
the Lucas points.   I only had the 950 engine about 10 years, but once I
started using only Champions I had no problem.

Annice & Bob
1960 Bugeye (Mk. IV in disguise) "The Sprite"
1966 Sprite Mk. III (Still in Boxes) "Trevor"