Re: quick steering rack questions (62 Mk2)

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: quick steering rack questions (62 Mk2)
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2005 08:10:58 -0500
What I've decided to do is this: I got a 1 qt container of 80-90 that has a
tapered cap, like a ketchup bottle, that is trimmed to size. I should be able
to just trim it small, remove the zirk and dispense 10 oz (per several
sources) into the zirk hole. The type I bought has an opaque strip on the side
of the bottle with the measurements next to the strip so I can put in the
correct amount. This of course won't help with maintaining it later, but gets
the initial fill in there. Only remaining question is why the aftermarket
service book (Haynes)calls for 140 gear oil and everyone else seems to call
for 80 or 90 weight, any thoughts on that would be appreciated.

Dan G