Swaying

To: gmari@optonline.net
Subject: Swaying
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 07:34:08 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: Spridgets Digest <spridgets-digest@autox.team.net>
George,

Sounds like kingpins and front end rebuild time plus a new set of Peter C's
shocks are the ticket. Bugsy was so bad when I first got him that hitting a tar
strip would mean an inadvertent lane change. I took the front end apart and
found out kingpins were so badly worn that was the problem. Severe thumps /
bump and wheel vibrating in my hands. I took suspension apart and kingpin which
should only be able to rotate, move sideways straight out from the car once
unbolted from the trunion could move front to back in a range of motion of
30-40 degrees. It was absolutely scary. I was fortunate to find a good set of
used spares from my local F-Production Sprite Racer guy for $250. Now MOSS or
VB is selling rebuilt assemblies at a very expensive price. Try Peter C as he
sells the complete assembly with an extra grease fitting.

Shocks from Peter C. as well made an incredible difference. Not only front but
rear as well. I also replaced the steering rack, again racecar spares, and
pinion gear. On a '68 the pinion gear is less that $10. Earlier models it is
substantially more expensive. I also had problems with rear spring boxes using
wrong bolts and the entire rear axle was moving 1/2 " rotating every time I
went around a left corner. I added a front sway bar from a '75 and replaced
front bushings which helped as well. Get the alignment checked, you can do it
yourself using the string method.

All in all Bugsy turns well and sticks where he's pointed. I'd venture that
worn kingpis and bushings are the culprit even in a low mileage car. They wear
incredibly fast if not lubricated proiperly on a regular basis. Good luck, when
all the proper parts are there within tolerances, you can't believe how this
car will stick to the road.

All of these mods served to make Bugsy handle like on rails

Jim Gruber
Bugsy '68 Sprite (future Bugeye in disguise)
Cincinnati, OH