Re: GM starter no restart when "hot" repair?

To: "cfchrist@earthlink.net" <cfchrist@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: GM starter no restart when "hot" repair?
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 13:10:37 +0000
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Hi.
Just curious but if the solenoid is too hot to engage the gear, how does adding
an external relay cause it to engage? Is it because you are applying a full
12volts with a heavy gauge wire from the external relay to the hot solenoid?

I added a Chrysler relay on my Impaler due to a big voltage drop that prevented
the solenoid from engaging, hot or cold. Never did figure out why the voltage
dropped to about seven volts at the solenoid.
Could you have a similar problem caused by heat?

Anyway, it's easy to do. Wire from the key to the relay switch, 12 volts from
battery to input of relay, output to solenoid. Should ground wherever you bolt
it.
Output and input side should be a large connection, switch will be smaller.

Hope this helps.