RE: GM starter no restart when "hot" repair?

To: "Jim Cowan" <jimcowan@autoappraisals.com>, spridgets@autox.team.net, "vintage-race" <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: GM starter no restart when "hot" repair?
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 15:43:25 -0400
you are correct about the GM over the counter "shorter" plunger spring.
i have 2 of the factory springs here.   it was a seperate part number piece
i got when i last worked as a parts man.   last i knew that "short" (and
slightly lighter wire diameter too!) spring was listed under GM's
performance parts listing.  it was an old trick to stand your collection of
solenod plunger springs on end and always pick the "shortest" spring when
building starters for what was then referred to as a "high torque" starter.
funny as it had nothing to do with the length of the armature or fields
wich "could" effect actual torque.    before the light weight racing
starters became available comercially another trick if space allowed was
using a diesel starter field coil housing and armature on a standard nose
for high torque with a hard to start (lots of advance dialed in!) GM V8.
those starters weigh a small ton but would crank over in hot start
situations when lots of compression and advance were effecting a standard
starter's ability to spin a motor fast enough to catch and run.   ;)

thank you all for your collective input!
chuck.
now, about getting an old saab to go faster.......LOL!