Ashtrays was con rods, also further question

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Ashtrays was con rods, also further question
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 16:28:32 EDT
Hi list,

I have a set of not that used but vice marked standard size ashtrays if
anyone wants a matching set.  I have 13mm cheapo socket with hammer marks and a
very expensive bronze Snap-on punch that's seem more action than just tapping
in/out bushes on a front spindle.

My blowlamp is pretty useless but may have helped.  My vice isn't much better
than my blow lamp so fancy multi handed vice work didn't get me very far.  I
don't have a C clamp.

Thanks for all your suggestions - final technique was hammer and drift much
like the Ital A+ rod I seperated from a piston a few weeks back.  I just wanted
to be that bit more careful since the rods are to a pauper like me, quite
valuable.

The rods all weight about 700 grammes and my postal scales are pretty shot.
The S rods like identical to the Spridget rod aside from the part number.

So, the question is:  How does a set of Cooper S rods end up on standard
pistons in a 1275 Midget?  Where some early/late engines built with left over S
rods?  Does the Horler book say anything about this?  Rod number in full is:
AEG521F&P19.

Daniel1312 - still looking for a single common or garden 1275 Mini/Austin
1300 rod