Re: 1275 Pilot Bushing Puller

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 1275 Pilot Bushing Puller
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 17:11:03 -0400
Cc: Frank Clarici <spritenut@exit109.com>, David Lieb <dbl@chicagolandmgclub.com>, Kurtis Jones <tr4driver@gmail.com>
A friend showed me a nice elegant way to remove these.  (I had a very
stubborn bushing on my 5.0L V8).  A tap that is just big enough to bite
in to the bushing will pull that out as soon as it bottoms in the
crank.  (For the V8 I needed a 1" tap that I found at a swap meet for
$1.  Need not be machine shop perfect.)  To make it bottom sooner and
without resistance, I put a steel bearing ball in the bore before
inserting the tap.  I was surprised how easily it worked.  Most
difficult part was to keep the crank from turning.