Re: Electric tach conversion

To: Phil Nase <nase@ptd.net>
Subject: Re: Electric tach conversion
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 21:53:10 -0400
Cc: Spridgets@autox.team.net
Phil Nase wrote:
> I'm ready to dremel a Bugeye tach can to fit an electric tach.  Before I
> do that I need advice on the tach electrical connection please.
>
> There are 3 connectors on the tach.  Two that look like bullet
> connectors (one male and one female.  The other is a spade terminal.

Phil

You are correct on the connectors.
I think the white bullet connectors are directional.
Like a one way loop, this is an internal loop that replaced the old
external loop on the + gnd tachs.
So a green wire from the key on fused side of the fuse box (or from the
gas gauge) to the spade terminal.
The white wires are one FROM the key, the other TO the coil.
So on a Bugeye, the only white wire runs from the key to the coil, you
are sticking the tach in the middle of that wire.
But do watch the direction (the loop) if it doesn't work, switch the to
and fro wires around.
I use colored tape and long lengths of wire to check it out before
making the final connections.
Also, very important. Make sure the tach is grounded, some have a spade
terminal tach welded to the housing. run a good ground to that terminal.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ