engine balance

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: engine balance
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 16:12:46 -0700
Is there anyone on the list with knowledge of correct technique for dynamic
balancing of internal engine parts?

I got back the crank, rods, pistons, flywheel, pressure plate, and harmonic
balancer for the 948 I'm building for the Austin A35.  They had mixed up the
#2 and #3 rod before balancing.  Since the #2 rod cannot be used in the #3
position, I called and asked what they needed to redo the balancing with the
rods in the correct positions and they replied that they only needed the rods
back.  This made me damn suspicious that they are full of crap.  I took the
rods to work and weighed them on an accurate balance with the following
results:
#1-----644.0g
#2-----647.5g
#3-----657.5g
#4-----661.0g

There may be some reason that the rods can be of such different weights and
still have a dynamically balanced engine I guess, but I thought step #1 was to
match the weights of all the rods and pistons BEFORE the dynamic balancing is
begun.

Am I getting hosed?

Glen Byrns