Re: Broken Tranny - kinda long

To: "Daniel1312@aol.com" <Daniel1312@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Broken Tranny - kinda long
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2005 02:25:15 -0500
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net, midgesprite@yahoogroups.com
Hmmm.  A lot of really good stuff in these replies and it has my poor old brain
ticking away.  The car is a 68 MKIII Midget but I have no idea if the tranny is
original to the car or not. It does have what appears to be an inspection cover
and I was planning on looking in there before making a decision on pulling the
whole lump. I don't think the ring gear in the diff is damaged as I
can turn the
rear wheels through several full revolutions without feeling any notchiness. It
just has a lot of lash which may well be normal.

I think I'll start with David Lieb's suggestion and pull the axles (new bearings
wouldn't hurt 'cause I have no idea what condition the old ones are in). That
will allow me to check for broken half shaft and a look at the pinion and ring
gear on the diff.

At that time, I'll also turn the drive shaft against the engine in 1st
and reverse
as suggested by Chris Kotting and Mark M., then finally take a look inside
the tranny inspection cover.

Is there still a possibility that the splined center broke out of the
clutch plate?
I had that happen on my old TC many years ago. It was a crappie clutch plate
made in China that I bought real cheap.  Live and learn.....

You guys are a great source of information. I hope you haven't given me more
courage than my mechanical skill can keep up with   ;-)

Cheers!!
Jim - who will get to work on the Midget this week when night shifts finish!