re: United States Not-so-Grand Prix x-mac-creator="4D4F5353"

To: mg <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: re: United States Not-so-Grand Prix x-mac-creator="4D4F5353"
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 17:54:35 -0700
Okay, my turn.

The buck stops with the czar. Bernie Ecclestone.
That is the position he has taken and now he has
failed monstrously.  What an idiot! A real leader
must flex and adjust, not just abdicate.

Had I been in his position (I organized a pro sedan
race at Laguna once, years ago). I shudder to think
of what vulnerability I was dancing with, SCCA and
all - they had their traditions and fiefdoms.

I would have had a simple early chicane making
turn 12 slower, thus slowing speed to 13.

I would have modified the tire rules in the interests
of safety, this time only.

I  would have allowed a pre-race circulation of the
cars to familiarize all with the chicane.

I would have held onto the qualifying times as set.

I would have told Ferrari to go home if they
refused to race with all present.

Just as the snipers will come out to respond if
they wish now, they'd have lots of chances to
blast Bernie, but at least some spine would have
been shown.

David McCartney