Not really LBC but kind of on topic: Books

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Not really LBC but kind of on topic: Books
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 14:38:07 -0700
   I just purchased a book on "Engine & Chassis Detailing" and all it
really is, is a advertisement for Eastwood, nothing new in it.  About the
same with "A guide to restoration" but that one had much less advertising
for Eastwood in it.  Any recommendations out there for some good reading ?

   I am not new to restoring cars, I have done several frame-off LBC's and
even a few Italian unibody cars and some American iron, but since I have no
friends ( the curse of the owner of orphaned cars ) I don't get to learn
anything new by just chit-chatting with others, so I read books to learn
new techniques and then practice in the real world.

  All the books lately seem to be a advertising methods and my good books
are quite old so they don't necessarily have new techniques in them and
besides I have read them many times.  There has to be new ideas on
autobody, frame work with new tools out there like TIG and plasma and of
course the new paints and HVLP that were not there 30 years ago when I
learned my skills.  Same with engine and gearboxes, although there I admit
the techniques from the factory are probably unchanged by modern tools.

  I learned about powder coating at home quite by accident a few years ago
and wow has it ever changed how I do things, what else am I missing ?

  I have a long flight (17 hours) coming up and I will need something to read.

        Mike