Re: More Engine Smoke Question Info

To: "Larry & Sandi Miller" <millerls@ado13.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: More Engine Smoke Question Info
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 21:25:27 -0700 reply-type=response
Larry.
I'm running a very similar setup, and have experienced very similar oil
usage.  I've been able to reduce the oil consumption to maybe a quart per
1500 miles through trial and error.  Here are some of the changes:

*Went to a NON-vented cap.  This eliminated oil leaking by insuring an
actual vacuum condition inside of the engine.
*Drilled and tapped a fitting for vacuum in the crossover tube of the Cannon
intake manifold.  That way any oil that is pulled into the intake is
distributed evenly, instead of fouling up the front two cylinders.
*Utilized a diaphram style british pcv check valve.  I think it is from a
1098.  High vacuum pulls the diaphram down and shuts off the vacuum signal,
eliminating the spike in vacuum that pulls oil through during rpm & throttle
changes associated with shifting or compression braking.  I experimented
with different spring pressures until I got one that wasn't too soft &
closed the valve at WOT.  The valve needs to be open under WOT to allow
crank case pressure to be released.
*Experimented with a restrictor in the line between the oil separator can
and the pcv check valve.  Too large a hole in the restrictor, and the car
sucks oil into the intake, too small, and crankcase pressure forces the oil
out the front & rear seals.
It is a balancing act.

David Riker
davriker@pacbell.net