steerin' rack

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: steerin' rack
Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2005 20:09:42 -0500
Hopefully I'll have the pinion seal soon, I want to get this done before I get
ahead of myself in the engine bay and turn it into even more of a chore.
Question is this: So far I know that to replace the pinion seal, I need to
remove the "drag" device on top (the large nut) and they'll be shims so I have
to be careful. Then the brass cap is removed, the one held down with 2 bolts,
and again I need to be careful, shims and other finely adjusted hardware. At
that point I should be able to remove the pinion. Will the pinion seal come
out with the pinion? What about that white plastic collar around the pinion on
the outside of the rack? I don't have to mess with that do I? I don't want to
break it.
Thanks for all the help everyone, you're all a great resource. Hopefully the
engine will be dangling on a chain next week!
Maybe I can bother you all about the carbs after that, won't that be fun?
Dan