Re: Ignition timing

To: "Phil Nase" <nase@ptd.net>, <Spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Ignition timing
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 21:21:56 -0400 reply-type=response
Well I used the dwell/tach on the 1275 and the points were right on at 62.
Using the spec of 60 +/- 3.  I was surprised and pleased.  I traded the
timing light for another with the advance dial.  Set it to 13 BTDC at 1000
rpm give or take, my book called for 22 degrees but others advised to use
11-13 so thats what I used.  I then adjusted the idle and its like a new
car.

Thanks to everyone for the help.  My crank pulley timing marks are poor.
Looks like a PO just scratched a line on it. It has no notch or other mark
except a dimple that seems to be 180 opposite the timing mark.   Its running
well so I'll let it be.  Is it a big deal to change over to a pulley with
appropriate marks for the actual advance needed on a 1275?

Now that I accomplished that I think its time for an electronic ignition.  I
would also like to keep a spare dizzy set up and in the boot for a quick
change if needed.  Anyone have a good spare they would like to sell?

The formerly white bugeye is getting painted now.  I plan to post some pics
when I finally figure out my MS FrontPage software.
Phil

Phil Nase
'60 Bugeyes
http://home.ptd.net/~nase