Re: Ignition timing

To: Spridgets <Spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Ignition timing
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 11:04:53 -0700
Phil,

For a 1275 with a Lucas 23D4 distributor the cam close period is 60
degrees +/- 3 degrees, open is 30 +/- 3 degrees.  I did not find a
dwell number for you.  The stroboscopic ignition timing is 22 degrees
at 1000 rpm.  You need an adjustable strobe to make this setting.
This type of strobe has an adjustment that changes the strobe timing
and reads in degrees.  You turn the knob until the you see the timing
mark line up with the TDC pointer then read the actual timing on the
strobe dial.

As a side note we have found non Lucas points to be rather
unreliable, often shorting out after about 200 miles.  It just happen
to me once more and I have just changed over to a Pertronix which I
am using with a 38 year old Lucas Sports Coil.  The first ten miles
have been great :-)

Bob Kitterer
1960 Bugeye (Mark IV in disguise)
1966 Sprite Mark III (mostly in boxes)