Oil Leak Update

To: List Spridget <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Oil Leak Update
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 19:58:50 -0400
Well after I finally got myself to stop freaking out about the fact
that every time we started the car it smoked because of the oil on the
engine.  See I had a vehicle fire with another car and it is not a fun
thing for those of you who have not had the unique pleasure if you can
call it that.  I did take it to the car wash.  Funny thing happened
there.  I don't have a fuse box cover and some how forgot and I was not
reminded to not get the fuses wet so after washing the engine with the
degreaser and the water and soap and finally rinsing everything she
would not start <grin>  Finally figured out that I had gotten the fuses
too wet for her to get any juice.  Lucky for me I have a towel in the
car that I sit on to see and used that to dry off the fuse area.  She
starts yeah.  Drive home get her up on a small ramp so I can see how
bad she is leaking underneath.  Let her cool a minute while I open the
bonnet.  It seems that the oil is coming from what I think is the oil
pressure gauge wire.  What ever it is it is a wire that connects to the
block right under the metal line thingy on the passenger side.  It
drips all the way down the block and onto the sump so it looks like it
is leaking from the sump.  After driving about 4 miles round trip I
have a small (maybe 1 to 1 1/2 inch) diameter spot on the cardboard
that I parked it over.  With my inexperience with a car that is
supposed to leak I guess that is not bad.  What started this whole
thing was while I was driving it I had held a constant oil pressure of
about 60 pounds no matter what, then as I rounded a corner while
driving I dropped to 40 pounds and then my gauge bounced between 40 and
60 depending on how much pressure I had on the gas peddle.  I have
since found out that 40 pounds is great and that I had nothing to worry
about in the first place except that it is maybe leaking a little more
that it should.  Thanks to all who sent suggestions I guess that both
Lambert and I overreacted with not knowing LBC's are supposed to do
that.

Kristi and Lambert
'74 RWA Midget (Mini Lee)

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpg which had a name of
DSCN1084.JPG]
P.S. She has a name now.  She is "Mini Lee."  Attached you will find a
picture of her and if you remember the General Lee from the Dukes of
Hazard that is what I first thought of with the color when I first saw
her.  And no her name does not come from the new Dukes I thought of it
before I even know the new movie was coming out.  Her name comes from
the original Dukes that yes I am young enough but old enough to know
who and what that show was.