dead battery?

To: "Midget Group at team.net" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: dead battery?
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 15:47:54 -0400
The other day I go to take a ride in the Midget, turn the key - nothing!  Odd,
seeing as everything seemed just fine the LAST time I drove it.  Anyway, I
jumpstarted it, drove it, turned it off and on, everything is fine.  Today I
discover that it's dead again.  I imagine either one of two things is going on
here...

1)  the battery is shot.  I have no idea how old it is.

2)  Seeing as I have my console pulled out and the wires that run up to it are
dangling (lighter, etc, intact on the wires, and the other bare connectors are
taped over) there is some situation wherein my battery is slowly being drained
while the car sits.

I may be that the battery is just unable to hold a charge - however, how can I
test for the other possibility?  I assume it will charge again with a jump and
a drive...

If it turns out I need a battery, can someone recommend an easily obtainable
make and model?

Thanks,
Steve
78 Midget