Re: headlights

To: "Larry B. Macy, Ph.D." <macy@bbl.med.upenn.edu>, "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: headlights
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2005 08:47:15 -0500 reply-type=original with any abuse report
>I see your point, but is it really necessary?? I have Heller 7"
> halogens, which are bright and have the "no shine up in the air
> cutoff lenses". I am sure there is a better descriptive name for that
> feature, but I do not have a clue as to what it is. They have been in
> for 4 years and my switch is still working and never gets hot. If I
> have to replace it, now I know why.

"Necessary"? Possibly not. Bear in mind, however, that the amount of current
is significantly greater than the design parameters and we are already
beyond the expected life of the car. Will a relay reduce the load on the
switch? Certainly! Would I rather replace a dead $5 relay than the $70
dimmer switch which requires dropping the column to remove the shroud to
access the screws that hold it in? You figure it out.
David Lieb
1972 Midget