Re: In car navigation system

Subject: Re: In car navigation system
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 09:34:01 -0400
Bill,
I know they have aftermarket systems ranging from $300-$400 to $1,700
sold by lots of vendors (cabelas.com crutchfield.com to name a few). I
have a nav system in my MINI and quite frankly, I wouldn't buy another
car without one. (Does the Elise offer that option?) It makes for simple
and stress-free driving.

Mine is 3 years old, so it uses a CD, but the newer systems have a
greater storage capacity. The difference is the data that can be stored.
For example, the CD-based system uses something like 6 CD's to cover the
US in detail while the dvd-based systems use only one disc for the
entire US. I don't know what the aftermarket devices use for data
storage. My CD system covers highways across the US but not side road
identification and not that all important info on locations of the
nearest McDonald's, Popeye's, or soemthing like Worldwide Auto Parts.
You need the region specific CD for that.

The various systems use different software also. For example, the system
in the MINI is a Navtech system. Honda uses a different system, hence a
different screen appearance. The Navtech system has the appearance of a
map while the Honda system makes it appear that you are cruising down
the road or doing a low fly-over, something like you might experience
with SpamBob on one of his flights. So I would imagine the aftermarket
devices might vary in the screen displays as well. It's just a matter of
your preference.

Nav systems beat mapquest and/or maps.google.com if for no other reason,
you're dead meat with those directions once you stray off the route! The
Nav system knows your location so it will still guide you to your
destination should you decide to take a side route for a few miles or
don't like some it's initial instructions. What's funny is when it tells
you to "make a U-turn".

Good luck on your move.

PS As a Passat owner, you might find the articles on VW in the current
Newsweek interesting.

jay fishbein
wallingford, ct

http://home.ix.netcom.com/~type79/