Spridget headlamp switches

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Spridget headlamp switches
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 10:44:44 -0600
On my Mk2, trying to install new switches, available as I have seen only
through one of the "usual suspects".
On the headlamp switch, looking at the wiring diagram, there is evidently some
relationship between the headlamp switch and turn signal system. The wiring
for the turn signal indictator goes through the headlamp switch, at first
apparently just as an odd "pass through" for some reason, but not entirely
sure.
The new switch omits at least one of the tabs for this wiring. In looking at
and testing the old switch, there is a slight change in resistance at these 2
turn signal indicator tabs, an increase of resistance by about 40 ohms in
either Park or Headlight positions (it's about 0 ohms with the park and
headlights off). Is this function to possibly dim the turn signal indicator
when it's dark out? Maybe I can combine the old and new switches to have one
good properly working switch.
I tested the new switch and can't come up with a circuit which acts this way.
As a secondary question, on the wiper switch, is the closed circuit position
in this switch actually the "Off" position and open circuit "On"? I seem to
remember some self-parking wiper circuits may operate this way? The closed
circuit provides power to the parking switch?
Dan