Re: freeze plug weeeeping

To: "Kevin Richards" <mg.carma@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: freeze plug weeeeping
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 16:15:41 -0800 reply-type=response
Cc: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Hi Kevin,

Good news, bad news.  Good news is that you can definitely change a
blockside freeze plug with the engine in the car.  Screw a big-a** lag screw
into the plug and then lever/pry/gouge/dynamite it out.  Take care in your
efforts that you don't gouge the edge of the hole.  Smear a dab of gasket
sealer around the edge of the new one (optional) and push it into place.
Now smack it dead center with the proverbial BFH until the center is
flattened a bit.

Now the bad new.  All the other non-leaking freeze plugs are almost equally
corroded and in need of replacement.  They are likely all the same age and
will have had the same hard life as the one that has just perforated.  Now
the worse news, there is a freeze plug on the back of the block hidden by
the engine backplate.  No way to get to it other than pulling the engine and
removing the backplate.  I've got three rebuilt motors and  have ALWAYS had
ALL the freeze plugs changed.  They're so cheap and the consequences are so
bad.

You could just change the leaky one and cross your fingers that the others
will hold until you wreck/sell the car or do a planned rebuild.

good luck,
Glen